Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wonderful Salad with Feta, Pears and Walnuts in Baguette Cups


I feel very lucky to know a few languages. I speak English, French and Hebrew. I know a lot of phrases in other languages but I would not say I come close to knowing them.
Knowing how to count up to 50 in Vietnamese just gets the Vietnamese ladies to crack up.
Reading cookbooks in other languages is a lot of fun. I always get introduced to new ingredients and unique food combinations. There is also a downside to using a foreign recipe; many times the temperatures are different and sometimes the ingredients vary widely in taste, especially milk products.
I got this recipe from a Hebrew Cookbook Called "The Treasure of Al Ha Shulchan" which means "The Treasure of On the Table". "On the Table" is a Hebrew food Magazine filled with recipes and ideas. The treasure is a book with all the most popular recipes from
the series.


Wonderful Sweet Salad with Feta, Pears and Walnuts in Baguette Cups

I adjusted the recipe quite a bit. Here is my version.

6 pears (peeled)
1/2 a cup of vinegar
1/2 a cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
1/2 a cup of water
1 stick of cinnamon
A pinch of cardamom
6 slices of baguette.
1 endive (broken into pieces)
A few handfuls of lettuce (I used a regular mixed greens)
1 carrot (cut into strips)
120 grams of feta cheese
1/2 a cup of walnuts


1. Bring pears with vinegar, sugar, salt, water, cardamom and cinnamon to a boil.
Cook for about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool. Cut pears into sticks.
Keep sweet dressing for later.

2. Heat oven to 400 degrees.

3. Pull out the insides of baguette slices (the soft part) Toast in oven for 5 minutes.

4. Mix all the rest of the ingredients (including pears) except for the nuts and cheese. Pour 1/4 of a cup of dressing on top and mix.
5. Fill baguette cups with salad and top with feta and walnuts.

The recipe calls for pomegranate seeds as well. You can use some if you find them.
I didn't use them.

Note: I usually have extra salad left over and I just eat it with the leftover dressing.

1 comment:

Peabody said...

I love the idea of the baguette cup...very cute.